Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Man Mitch?

In a previous blog entry I mentioned that I have started taking golf lessons. One of my motivations for doing so is my soon to be new role at work. I've worked at the same place since I graduated from college over 5 years ago. To keep it short, I spent 2 years designing residential/commercial developments and the past 3 years I've been managing the same type of projects. I've always really enjoyed my job, but about 6 months ago a coworker of mine asked if I'd ever be interested in business development...without even thinking about it and much to my surprise I said yes. Since then I have been trying (hard I might add) to get myself into that type of a role. So far I have been splitting my time between management and business development and that has been painful. I've enjoyed every second of the BD side of things and am eager to immerse myself completely in it. As part of my new role I get to attend different events (golfing ones included once I'm not scared to death to play with someone). Last night I went to a fund raiser at Mayor Cook's (Mayor of Westfield, IN) residence for our Governor, Mitch Daniels. If you know me well, you know that I am not at all into politics, but non the less I do find politicians amusing. It was very interesting to see so many suits in one room and the competitiveness between the men wearing them. All there to put on a show...who knows who, who knows what, etc. I loved it. The best part of the evening...I happened to be near the front door when Mitch Daniels himself walked in. I introduced myself and chatted for a few minutes. During my chat with the Governor my boss (well, soon to be boss) walked in the front door...let's just say he was impressed with my mingling skills...talk about perfect timing. Next week Mike and I are attending the City of Westfield's Mayor's Yellow Tie Ball. I think I could get use to this...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty impressive. It's easy to tell that you really like the changes made at work. This fits you well and I know you will make Schneider very happy.

Mitch Daniels, the governor? And Mayor Cook's Yellow Tie Ball? It doesn't surprise me. You're the best.

Love you much,

Mom

KT said...

Wow! That is amazing! I would love doing things like that!